Karma Dental Care
A guide to our dental services for new and existing patients
This leaflet contains information about the services we provide, how to make an appointment and who to contact for further information or assistance. You can check one of the following sections to find the information you need:
- the dental team – full name of each person performing services
- professional qualification of each person performing dental services
- address of premises
- access for disabled person or suitable arrangement
- services available
- how to request our services
- the right of patients to express a preference of practitioner
- normal surgery opening hours
- urgent and out of hours care
- rights and responsibilities of patients including keeping appointments
- telephone number and details of NHS Direct and Hammersmith and Fulham CCG
- how patients may make a complaint or comment on the provision of service
- Action to be taken where a patient is violent or abusive to the contractor, its staff, etc.
- Details of who has access to patient information plus patients right to disclosure information
The dental team
The members of our dental team are:
Mr. Karnan Nirmalthasan, Principal Dentist
Mr. Wahab Shakir, Associate Dentist
Mrs Nada Khader Dental Hygienist
Miss Carolin Garcia Dental Nurse
Ms. Lindsey Hazel, Dental Nurse
Mrs. Sharon Watson, Dental Nurse
Ms Kathleen Moelner Dental Nurse
The address and contact details of premises
144 Wandsworth Bridge Road,
Fulham, London SW6 2UH.
Telephone: 020 7736 0876
How to request our services
If you ask us for an appointment, we will try to offer you one as soon as possible at a convenient time. You can make an appointment by phoning 020 7736 0876 or by sending us e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. See next pages for information on our opening hours.
You can choose which dentist you would like to see at the practice, but please note that this will depend on the appointments available.
Karma Dental Care has agreed with NHS Hammersmith and Fulham Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) to provide NHS dental services for all patients. The contract for these services is held by Mr. Karnan Thasan.
NHS dental treatment includes all treatment necessary to secure and maintain your oral health. We also provide a full range of private treatment options for patients who choose to have treatment that is not available under the NHS – for example large white fillings in back teeth or cosmetic treatment such as tooth whitening.
Our practice service is not accessible for disabled patients. No wheelchair accessible toilet.
The practice is open as follow:
– Monday and Tuesday from 9.00am – 5.00pm.
– Wednesday and Thursday from 9.00am – 7pm
– Friday from 8.30am – 5pm.
NHS dental treatments are available on opening times.
Urgent treatment and out of hours care
Urgent treatment means treatment that the dentist considers necessary to relieve severe pain or prevent your oral condition deteriorating before you can make a normal appointment.
If you need urgent treatment outside of the opening hours you can contact our on-call dentist on 07740 281548.
We also offer a small number of appointments during practice opening hours for patients who need urgent treatment, but do not have an appointment.
Rights and responsibilities of patients including keeping appointments
Patients are entitled to
- a thorough examination of your mouth, teeth and gums
- a full explanation of your treatment options
- a written treatment plan (including costs) *
- advice on how to keep your teeth and gums healthy
- information about this practice and the services available
- a care and treatment summary if you decide to transfer to another dentist
- make a complaint if you are not happy with your treatment and care.
Patients are responsible for
- following your dentist’s advice to prevent tooth decay and gum disease
- bringing proof of entitlement when claiming help with the cost of NHS treatment. If no proof is shown your eligibility will be checked.
- treating our staff with courtesy and respect**
* Please note – if your treatment is a ‘Band 1’ course of treatment or you do not have to pay NHS charges, you will have to ask your dentist to provide this.
** Please note – we may refuse to treat patients who are violent or refuse to cooperate during treatment. In this case, we will inform the Hammersmith and Fulham CCG.
Reminders and recalls
At the end of your course of treatment, your dentist will discuss with you when you will need to see a dentist again. NHS dentists now follow guidelines issued by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). This means you will attend as often as is needed to keep your teeth and gums healthy and may no longer need a check-up every six months.
If you are unable to keep your appointment please let us know as soon as possible so that we can give the appointment to someone else. Missed appointments waste NHS and our time.
Access to patient information and patient right to disclosure of information
Your dental records will remain confidential and secure. However from time to time we may need to release these to Hammersmith and Fulham CCG or the NHS Business Services Authority as part of our ongoing clinical review process. We will try to contact you before releasing your dental records to another organisation.
Make a complaint or comment about our service
If you would like to make a complaint on the provision of our service please contact our complaint manager…………………………………………. at our practice on 144, Wandsworth Bridge Road, London SW6 2UH. If you are not happy with the response you receive from us you are entitled to raise this verbally or in writing with your Clinical Commissioning Group.
You can get support with making a complaint from:
NHS dental services – Patients who have a comment or complaint about a dentist, pharmacy or optician, which cannot be resolved locally with the practice manager, can contact NHS England using the details below:
NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT.
Tel: 0300 311 22 33
Patients found to have incorrectly claimed help with the cost of NHS dental treatment may receive a penalty charge.
If you would like to make a comment, please use our easy to use opt-in form within our website www.karmadentalcare.co.uk or simply just write to us at the practice address mentioned above.
Contact details of local NHS services
NHS Direct Legacy Management Office
South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
7 & 8 Talisman Road
Contact details of Hammersmith and Fulham CCG
NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT.
Tel: 0300 311 22 33
NHS Counter Fraud Service
For more advice on receiving help with the cost on NHS dental treatment, go to www.cfsms.nhs.uk and click on ‘Entitled to help with NHS costs’.
If you have a suspicion of fraud taking place within the NHS please contact our Fraud and Corruption Reporting Line on 0800 028 40 60 (Monday to Friday 8am-6am)